- 50ml Vodka
- 25ml Pineapple Juice
- 10ml Chambord*
- 5ml Demerara Syrup
* Chambord is a Raspberry heavy liquor, that can be homemade. For directions on how to make it, keep posted to my next week blog post.
- 2 oz Demerara Rum or Raw Sugar Cane based Rum**
- 1 oz Puerto Rican Rum (white/gold/dark your choice=***
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ oz Passion Fruit Juice/Nectar
- 1 Splash Demerara Syrup
The Demerara Cocktail is a nice simple drink that incorporates your standard sweet and sour rum combination, but adds a little Passion fruit Juice to give it an exotic twist. For the most part the Demerara rum comes through with the lime and just a hint of the passion fruit juice.
** Demerara rums procedence is South American island of Guyana. El Dorado Rum might be the best-know demerara brand (a rising start spirit in the 1990´s, with a solid product with great notes and taste) but other relatively know brand in the international market is Lemonhart 151-proof Demerara Rum.
*** Puerto Rican rums are triple distilled and aged in Charred American white oak barrels. Their brand leader is Bacardi Rum, follow by other relatively well-know brands such as Don Q, Ron del Barrilito, Palo viejo, and Ron Llave.
Queen's Park Swizzle
- 3oz Demerara Rum
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz demerara syrup
- 3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Fresh mint for garnish
Demerara Dry Float
- 1 1/2 oz Demerara rum
- 1/4 oz 151 Demerara rum
- 2 1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 1/3 ounces passion fruit syrup
- 1/3 ounce demerara syrup
- 1/4 ounce Maraschino liqueur
Shake everything except the 151 rum with ice, strain into double old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice, and carefully float the 151. Do not stir.